Search This Blog

Saturday, November 10, 2007

The Miseducation of Hair

If you tell an African American that oil and grease doesnt moisterize the hair, be ready for a fight!!! I myself also thought this for my entire life. Whenever I would want to not make my hair seem as dry I would put oil ALL over my hair. Little did I know that the oil molecules are too large to penetrate the hair shaft, so all I was getting was the sheen from the oil and not and moister which is why after doing this my hair would still break at the ends. Even after reading it from Cathy Howse I still had to have that claim backed and broken down by sistaslick to really understand the way to truely moisterize, which is with water based moisterzers such as S-Curl spray or NTM silk leave in, and then you have to seal that moister in with a oil. When you think about it water is natures moisterizer, and it makes perfect sense that this is the way to hydrate hair to keep it from becoming dry and snapping off. Im not saying to avoid using oils all together, you should just use water based moisterizers not oil based! The NTM does have 3 different types of oils in them, but again its base is water! Like i said its a misunderstanding that can easily be fixed. Oils should still be used to stimulate the scalp but you dont want to block your scalp by coating it with grease, because it does still need to breath, massage light oils into your scalp and call it a day. The whole point is to seal in the moister, and to avoid products with mineral oil, lanolin, and petroleum. As these are the fillers or culprits that are blocking the shaft. Water isnt the enemy! I was also taught to believe that you could wash your hair too much and make your relaxer go away or wash it out. Another myth! You dont have to nessecarily shampoo your hair everytime you but water to it. Somtimes you can just use the water to rinse debris or a little build up from your hair. Conditioner washes also help add a little moister to the hair as well. Save the heavy greases to base or protect your scalp from that harsh relaxer! Which is a whole other topic! Mo' Hair!

No comments: